Skip to main content

Helen and Jane Adventures: Part 1

My previous entries covered the first impressions between the two machines. And with both of them I have a bit of exploration to go through before I can say definitively anything about the design.

Helen (16010) & Jane (16011)







One thing I can say for both of these machines, they are strong. You can feel the power when working with them. And neither of them are particularly loud for their strength. Working on these vintage machines, you feel like you are unstoppable in comparison to the computerized machines I have worked with (Bernina Bernette 25 is my go to dearest). They have the same feeling as I get with my mechanical near industrial serger (Juki MO-735). They go through the material like there is nothing there. This was even the case when on Helen, I hadn't quite corrected the bobbin issue and I was destroying my needle points.


I also know that Jane is more than capable on hemming jeans. She's the machine that got me into this mess in the first place. I that serger I have just couldn't hem. My guess is it was because of "Pebkac"  (Problem Exists between Keyboard and Chair), but either way I found Jane and found my solution. And she had no issue with this.

At first blush, before any and all of the problems I have had between the two machines are corrected (eg. Helen's slipping stitch width, and Jane's drop feed issue), I'd pick Jane. The 16011 just has a better design. Especially that Reverse Stitch modifier. If nothing else, it feels more sure when moving it, AND since there is more space between each letter, you can tune it in better for your purposes. The knob resistance when turning it just feels more secure, an based upon the internal mechanisms IS more secure.

I don't care much for Jane's stitch missing, but I'll be investigating that when I look at her drop feed problem.

Being that they are essentially version 1.0 and 1.1 of each other, this makes sense. The ideal whenever a design change is made is either to improve something (like a customer complaint) or decrease manufacturing costs. In this case, I'm likely to say that it was an improvement change. The internal mechanism that is used now for the modifier is more complex and likely took additional tooling to make.

And without having tested any of the other machines in my queue, I can talk about the 1601 and if it should be purchased for your purposes. I'm going to make a broad gesture that includes the 16012 for the time being, once I get my hands on one of those I'll be sure to update more appropriately.

When in the market for a sewing machine, and willing to consider a vintage one:

Perks of a 158.1601x:
  • Strong motor
  • Smooth, and beautiful operation (purrs?)
  • Easy to adjust
  • Clean and simple design
  • Great overall width for stitches.
  • Accessories, accessories, accessories
    • Super High Shank feet allows for so clean looking space when viewing your project, and less stuff for thread to catch on.
    • Can use any 1 & 2 layer C-Cam (50 to choose from)
      • Not limited to only built in stitches
    • Compatible with most Kenmore Buttonholers of that era
  • Great extended lift to get material under the presser foot
  • Adjustable presser foot pressure
  • Instruction Manual is excellent if you can find one
  • Needles are easy to install
  • Vertical bobbin provides wonderful lock stitches
  • Pop off top makes easy maintenance
  • Flat bed design also makes easy maintenance
  • Easy access to the light blub
  • Overall metal construction
Risks of a 158.1601x:
  • Accessories, accessories, accessories
    • Super High Shank Feet
      • Adapters are available to low and snap on feet, but that will be an expense and a bit more hassle when changing feet.
    • All the external accessories require additional space to store
    • Buttonholers require bed adapter of the right size
  • No compatible chain stitching
  • No monogrammers out of the box
  • Fewer built in stitches
  • HEAVY (30+ lbs.)
  • No free arm
  • Vintage machine concerns
    • Hard to find parts
    • Needing a good scrubbing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kenmore Ensemble: An Introduction

In this adventure there are 9 machines that will be tested. An important thing to note about the models for Kenmores of this era is the context of the naming scheme. "XXX.MM(MM)Y" The XXX being the general design numbers such as 117, 158, or 148. These often correlate with the manufacturer of the machine and the region of sale. MM(MM) mean while is the model. I have seen model numbers that are from two digits to four digits. All the models I'll be writing on in this series are four digits. Model Number and Serial Plate The last number is the Y, and is always the Y no matter how many M's precede it. It is often casually implied as the manufacturing year, 0 being the first year of manufacture. From what I've actually seen, it's more like revision number just like in modern computing when they go from 2.0 to 2.1. A major revision has been made, but it isn't different enough to be a new machine. With this, sometimes multiple revisions can happen in

To Helen Black: An introduction to 1601s

I'm working with the machines now, not in chronological order, but in complexity order. So the first machine I have worked with is Helen. This bird is a 158.16010. She has a slightly green, maybe mint, enamel casing. Quick things you'll note about her and what basically drew me to these generations of machines is the simplicity of the design. Proof Helen is indeed a machine Basic features that are identical across the 1601/1701/1802 line are the side opening door to get to the light bulb, the easy to remove top (it is just held on with a tension clip around), and the order of the knobs. From left to right up to down, Stitch Width, Reverse Stitch Modifier, Stitch length (with reverse button), and Stitch Selector.  Everything is upfront and easy to access. All the machines I will be testing are flat bed, so to get to the bobbin casing there is either lifting up the machine and tilting it back, or popping out the access plate and hoping your hands are small enough to re