Skip to main content

Soylent... not really people

I love food. Full Stop.

Most people I imagine relate. The whole, one of those things keeping us alive deals. Either way, food is a major part of my life like most people, as was so kindly pointed out by that crafty Bruce Willis character in "Over the Hedge"

I just don't like the TEXTURE of most food, I'm one of those people who'd drown food that I didn't like in ranch. I'd convert the food into a vehicle for ranch.

Lately, however, with the demands of my life, the time restrictions I have, and my desire to not eat myself into a ranch based coma... I've opted to try out Soylent.

Unlike it's namesake, it's an FDA approved food "replacement". In its design it's meant to allow you to eliminate food without compromising your actual health. As much as I cannot stand the seeds in a strawberry, the natural goodness that is all around me will sing to me and I will be drawn in. Soylent may replace a meal here and there, but it'll never be my primary.

However, it is something that makes having hobbies a lot easier.

I work a basic 8 to 5 job with at least a half hour drive time either way. Grad school work and lectures to attend. And a pretty regular bed time, so if I want to do anything... it's scheduled. Time to fix my computer, or craft, or even watch a TV show with my loved one, it all has to be scheduled. And on days which food has to be cooked my free time goes from four hours just over one hour; one precious hour.

Cooking, I do enjoy, however not every day, and not every weekend is structured well enough for me to take a whole day cooking.

Soylent helps with that hour becoming four hours again. It means I can fix my computer, read the news, go for a run, and plan for my next day all before it's lights out. That factor in of itself is great.

But what about the product?

It smells a bit like protein powder or premixed pancake batter.  Vaguely vanilla, vaguely powder. When I started it mixed up with it's handy little scoop, 1:2 scoops Powder to water, with a dash of oil, for about 12 oz of liquid and just over 300 calories. Nowadays it follows closer to the whey powder mantra. 1:2 powder to water, throw it in my Blender bottle, add a little Mio for a fruity flavor, and shake, shake, shake senora.

*dance break*.

This little meal in a 20-ish oz blender bottle, is about 350 calories with a decent distribution of nutrients. It is often my breakfast or lunch during the work day, and my main meal while I'm driving long distances. Oh so very, very convenient. So much so that sometimes I even take the bottle in with me to a work meeting so I'm not "eating" but I am totally making sure I don't get 'hangry'.

I think it has been, 2+ years that I have been supplementing my life with Soylent, starting back as far as version 1.1, I'm now drinking the 1.7 powder, but trying out the 2.0 liquid.

The 2.0 liquid comes in 4 flavors. Which approximate to Vanilla, Chocolate, Fruity Pebbles Milk, and Coffee (has caffeine). I drink one of these when I'm in a real tight crunch to food into me. In my opinion they are way better in flavor than many of the supplement drinks I have had before. And go down like water, which if you have ever had ensure, or anything like that will kind of surprise you.

My thoughts?

It satiates, none of my doctors have noticed an issue and my bloodwork remains good. I enjoy the powder more than the liquid because I can flavor it as I'd like, or mix it into a smoothie. My dearest, BK, likes it plain or with the vanilla and orange Mio, he says it makes it taste like a dreamsicle.

I really like it, I guess that's why I have been supplementing for so long with it. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a little mobile food that just takes Mio and a little water to make it fruity.

Before Soylent came out I regularly supplemented my diet with Ensure, Pediasure, or sometimes Slimfast. Making sure I'd get my minerals and vitamins, and to be a quick little snack. So this wasn't too much of a change. I can tell you though, I feel satiated longer on Soylent than any of the others, even at the same caloric intake.  And I end up drinking more water just from the 1:2 ratio thing. All plusses in my book.

One difference between the aforementioned shakes and the Soylent I have noticed is that meds that say "take with food" or is best to take with food for yourself, that I can actually just have it with Soylent, which with the others I could not. Whatever the actual difference is between the other supplements and Soylent, I'm happy that it works to my stomach as food.

Photos Pending.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kenmore Ensemble: An Introduction

In this adventure there are 9 machines that will be tested. An important thing to note about the models for Kenmores of this era is the context of the naming scheme. "XXX.MM(MM)Y" The XXX being the general design numbers such as 117, 158, or 148. These often correlate with the manufacturer of the machine and the region of sale. MM(MM) mean while is the model. I have seen model numbers that are from two digits to four digits. All the models I'll be writing on in this series are four digits. Model Number and Serial Plate The last number is the Y, and is always the Y no matter how many M's precede it. It is often casually implied as the manufacturing year, 0 being the first year of manufacture. From what I've actually seen, it's more like revision number just like in modern computing when they go from 2.0 to 2.1. A major revision has been made, but it isn't different enough to be a new machine. With this, sometimes multiple revisions can happen in

To Helen Black: An introduction to 1601s

I'm working with the machines now, not in chronological order, but in complexity order. So the first machine I have worked with is Helen. This bird is a 158.16010. She has a slightly green, maybe mint, enamel casing. Quick things you'll note about her and what basically drew me to these generations of machines is the simplicity of the design. Proof Helen is indeed a machine Basic features that are identical across the 1601/1701/1802 line are the side opening door to get to the light bulb, the easy to remove top (it is just held on with a tension clip around), and the order of the knobs. From left to right up to down, Stitch Width, Reverse Stitch Modifier, Stitch length (with reverse button), and Stitch Selector.  Everything is upfront and easy to access. All the machines I will be testing are flat bed, so to get to the bobbin casing there is either lifting up the machine and tilting it back, or popping out the access plate and hoping your hands are small enough to re

Helen and Jane Adventures: Part 1

My previous entries covered the first impressions between the two machines. And with both of them I have a bit of exploration to go through before I can say definitively anything about the design. Helen (16010) & Jane (16011) One thing I can say for both of these machines, they are strong. You can feel the power when working with them. And neither of them are particularly loud for their strength. Working on these vintage machines, you feel like you are unstoppable in comparison to the computerized machines I have worked with (Bernina Bernette 25 is my go to dearest). They have the same feeling as I get with my mechanical near industrial serger (Juki MO-735). They go through the material like there is nothing there. This was even the case when on Helen, I hadn't quite corrected the bobbin issue and I was destroying my needle points. I also know that Jane is more than capable on hemming jeans. She's the machine that got me into this mess in the first place. I that serger