Skip to main content

One step forward....

With the prep for this project I took some old fabric and reinforced it with fusible interfacing and cut them into roughly business card sizes. These little things I have been using for stitch samples.

They will not be 100% professional looking as they are partially about getting to know the machine's quirks for each stitch.

Largely the machines have been stitched with a length of between 1 and 2, and a width of 4, except for the straight stitch, which by its own nature has no width. And these machines are not yet advanced enough to have straight stitching offsets.

There have been some casualties as I have worked on making these little stitch cards. The biggest being just the cards themselves. I have a particular loathing for rotary cutting. It is extremely useful for a straight line, but cutting hundreds of rectangles is just something I don't much care for doing. I have made TWO whole quilts in my life, and I only had to cut pieces for one of them... never again if I can avoid it.


These little rectangles start off at 1.75 by 3.325 inch cards, slightly smaller than a typical business card. I got the idea for this from this blog. I found the idea most appealing as I'm working with a machine that I don't know if everything I have will work well for it. I don't know what pattern cams will work, and what one's won't. More over, I don't want to have to redo an ENTIRE page of a stitch book just because it missed a stitch or because the tension was wrong for a single pattern.

This was a great choice by the way. As of this moment, I have stitched samples for both Helen (16010) and Jane (16011), and have had all sorts of adventures getting the tension right, and getting the stitch right looking. Please see the pending blogs on both Helen and Jane for the details.I have made some mistakes. Both in cutting them, and in sewing through them. I attempted to ease my distaste of rotary cutting by getting a rotary cutting craft cutter. The kind that is supposed to go through foam and cardstock with no issues. That took a learning curve. But in the end most of the pieces looked alright. My guess is if my interfacing wasn't so squishy and was more stiff it would have worked better. Lessons learned, right?

 


All in all hundreds of little pieces of fabric later, I'm sewing and making!

I really do recommend this style of stitch book though. It has been marvelous. When I sell my machines I'm going to include full stitch books. And if someone just doesn't like the look of a particular stitch, they can easily redo the piece and change it out in the book. That's pretty cool.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kenmore Ensemble: An Introduction

In this adventure there are 9 machines that will be tested. An important thing to note about the models for Kenmores of this era is the context of the naming scheme. "XXX.MM(MM)Y" The XXX being the general design numbers such as 117, 158, or 148. These often correlate with the manufacturer of the machine and the region of sale. MM(MM) mean while is the model. I have seen model numbers that are from two digits to four digits. All the models I'll be writing on in this series are four digits. Model Number and Serial Plate The last number is the Y, and is always the Y no matter how many M's precede it. It is often casually implied as the manufacturing year, 0 being the first year of manufacture. From what I've actually seen, it's more like revision number just like in modern computing when they go from 2.0 to 2.1. A major revision has been made, but it isn't different enough to be a new machine. With this, sometimes multiple revisions can happen in

To Helen Black: An introduction to 1601s

I'm working with the machines now, not in chronological order, but in complexity order. So the first machine I have worked with is Helen. This bird is a 158.16010. She has a slightly green, maybe mint, enamel casing. Quick things you'll note about her and what basically drew me to these generations of machines is the simplicity of the design. Proof Helen is indeed a machine Basic features that are identical across the 1601/1701/1802 line are the side opening door to get to the light bulb, the easy to remove top (it is just held on with a tension clip around), and the order of the knobs. From left to right up to down, Stitch Width, Reverse Stitch Modifier, Stitch length (with reverse button), and Stitch Selector.  Everything is upfront and easy to access. All the machines I will be testing are flat bed, so to get to the bobbin casing there is either lifting up the machine and tilting it back, or popping out the access plate and hoping your hands are small enough to re

Helen and Jane Adventures: Part 1

My previous entries covered the first impressions between the two machines. And with both of them I have a bit of exploration to go through before I can say definitively anything about the design. Helen (16010) & Jane (16011) One thing I can say for both of these machines, they are strong. You can feel the power when working with them. And neither of them are particularly loud for their strength. Working on these vintage machines, you feel like you are unstoppable in comparison to the computerized machines I have worked with (Bernina Bernette 25 is my go to dearest). They have the same feeling as I get with my mechanical near industrial serger (Juki MO-735). They go through the material like there is nothing there. This was even the case when on Helen, I hadn't quite corrected the bobbin issue and I was destroying my needle points. I also know that Jane is more than capable on hemming jeans. She's the machine that got me into this mess in the first place. I that serger